The Authors League Fund provides assistance to book authors, dramatists, and freelance writers, such as journalists and poets. We help writers living in the United States, regardless of citizenship, and American writers living abroad.
Recipients must fall into one or more of the following categories:
- Book authors with at least one title published by an established, traditional publisher. Authors with a substantial body of work are given priority.
- Dramatists whose full-length plays have been produced in theaters with at least 200 seats and/or published by established dramatic presses.
- Journalists and freelance writers who have published at least ten articles in publications with a national or broad circulation. Online publications must be with websites that have strong editorial oversight and a sizable readership.
While it is not necessary that the applicant subsists solely on his or her income from writing, or publish often, the applicant’s status as a professional writer is vital. Please list awards, fellowships, and other forms of recognition in your application.
Writers who have found financial and/or professional success through indie or subsidiary publishing may be considered, although typically the Fund does not assist writers whose credits are solely self-published.
Please review our FAQ page before applying.
Common applicants include:
- Writers of any age in ill health, or supporting a dependent family member in ill health.
- Writers facing overwhelming medical or dental expenses.
- Writers suffering financial crises unrelated to health, such as unexpected loss of income, temporary unemployment or underemployment, eviction proceedings, or similar.
- Writers struggling after a natural disaster.
Priority is given to sick and/or older authors in need. Family members or close friends of writers suffering from cognitive decline may assist with the application process; please contact the office for guidance.
Because we seek to help as many qualified applicants as possible, our assistance is modest and temporary in nature. Recipients may apply again after a period of twelve months has passed, but additional support is not guaranteed.
We cannot provide “time to write” and our support cannot be used for professional expenses, e.g., a new computer, book publicity, hiring an editor, airline tickets to a residency, book tour transportation, starting a business or non-profit, theater production costs.
More information can be found on our FAQ page.